Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Sad End to a Promising Tale

So remember that time when my husband sort of went crazy and wanted to buy an old car from some guy in Arizona?  I know you all have been waiting to hear the end of that promising tale.

But first, I have to explain a few things about the man I am married to.  I am head over heels in love with all his quirks, and here is one of them.  He hates to spend money.  It literally took this man weeks to talk himself into buying a football.  That thing cost maybe $20.  Weeks I tell you!  Then he went and bought it and I was all mad because Father's Day coming up and I was banking on him not being able to convince himself to spend the stinking $20 and I'd already bought it for him.  So then we had two footballs in our possession. That man, I tell you!  He's a tricky one.

So back to the story.  For more details the car was a 1965(ish) Willys wagon.  He liked it, but then found a 1953(ish) Willys wagon in Denver, CO.  Much more manageable location.  We had my sister and the ear doctor go check it out for us.  Then he found one in Wisconsin that also seemed like a good idea.  My head was sort of spinning because this was the man that took weeks to convince himself to spend $20 and he was serious about this purchase.  Which one will he chose?  Will he go through with it?  He spent hours looking at the photos and thinking, thinking, thinking.  I stepped out of the whole thing.  I gave my blessing to whatever decision he wanted to make.

It also felt like a science fair project to me.  Question to be answered: Will the cheapest and most practical man I know decide to make this hugely impractical and expensive decision?

Answer: He might.

He ended up calling the guy in Denver to make a serious offer, but the guy was adamant about a price point that we felt was too high for the car and too much for us to pay anyway.  So then he backed out.

Then, as if he was coming off an adrenaline high, he told me, "I just don't think we should do this right now."  There was no even considering purchasing the Wisconsin Willys.  It was as if he had been talking himself into the emotional frenzied state needed to actually jump into this purchase and he felt he could not possibly do it again.

Ah, now that's the man that I know and love.



PS. The question still remains, what is he going to do with a two wheel drive vehicle when winter hits and he has to go in to work before 4am?  I guess that can be our next experiment.

2 comments:

Katie said...

The wagon here was pretty cool...but you're right a bit expensive.


We bought the Mayo book. All my DR has given me is vitamin samples and propaganda...that's what she called it...propaganda. She is hilarious.

Maggie said...

I'm sorry you bought it. The clinic gives it out for free. I could have sent you my copy.