Monday, July 09, 2012

Unplanned Awesome-ness

There are so many things I try to purposefully teach my children (shut the door, shut the door, shut the door) that seem to go right over their heads.  My attitude is that they'll learn them through repetition.  (Make your bed, make your bed, make your bed)  Hopefully by number 10,000 it'll sink in.

Then I stumble on a technique as an afterthought and I am surprised about how it strikingly sticks in their minds.  The first example was with my Sunday school class.  We had a lesson last week about gratitude and I taught the story of the 10 lepers.  I can't get away with just re-telling a story with my group of 4-5 year olds.  I'll start and then a hand is raised and we are derailed by someone's dog that likes to eat ladybugs.  So to get their attention I used hole protector stickers.  Every kid got to put one on each finger to pretend each finger was a leper.  Then they took all the stickers off to pretend all 10 lepers were healed.  This week they were all able to tell me the story again.  Turns out stickers make a big impact.  When you want their attention, use stickers.

 The second situation has to do with swimming.  It took me a long time to learn to swim as a kid.  I didn't want it to take that long for Charlotte.  She took swim lessons every day for a month (2 sessions lasting 2 weeks).  She was not what I would say an energetic learner.  In fact she had to re-take level one after the first session.  Then I found out that she desperately wanted swim goggles when we walked by them in the grocery store one day.  I didn't want to buy them right then so I threw out, "You can have some when you can pick up the rings from the pool with your eyes open."  I know, that's a weird goal, which I had no way to ensure she'd achieved, but it was unexpectedly very effective.  Last Friday was the end of her swim session and she managed to pass her level 1 class.  They said she was ready for level 2.  (Though after a month of swim lessons we are all ready for a bit of a break.)  That's why she got to have these babies:
(They even have interchangeable star shapes.  The other ones are green.)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay, for Charolette and swimming lessons! That picture of her in her goggles made me laugh :)

Anonymous said...

Swimming is fun and a safety measure for kids.
g-jane

dad said...

She looks just like a mermaid

Dane's mom said...

Awesome,!!!!!
Great idea on the class,to.