Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Things Getting Cut

Lee is now old enough to grab things, and never let go.  Never.  So my options were either deal with having my hair pulled, or wear it up.  If I wear it up I will a) get a head ache and b) have wet hair all day long.  It will still be totally wet when I go to bed.  I was tired of these two options so this is what happened:

And I love it.  I'm still trying to remember how to do my hair when it's this short, but in a bit I think we'll have it all figured out.

The second story happened today.  And it starts with a whole lot of mint.  Charlotte wanted to plant it in the spring because she loves mint.  I said OK, but as it turns out mint grows like crazy.  Luckily I planted it in a pot rather in a garden plot.  That whole thing would be taken over by now.  Because of our vast amounts of mint I've been trying to figure out ways of using fresh mint that I like with mixed results.  

My friend Mindy knew my predicament when she emailed me a recipe for Asian Chicken Salad she got from her sister-in-law.  I decided to try it for lunch and invite Mindy and another friend over.  

This morning I was making the salad, and trying to clean up a little.  What with Percie being inside (heat advisory) and the three kids and the craziness of our summer our house is a mess.  I was trying to cut the jalapeno, get the kids to pick up their bedroom, and get the dog into the backyard when I the knife slipped and I almost cut the tip of my thumb off.  It was surprisingly painless to begin with because the knife was so sharp.

I was pretty lucky that Dan happened to be home between call because I had him come inside from working in the backyard to help fix me.  As a side note, it's a BAD idea to cut your thumb when you are cutting jalapeno peppers.  It starts out painless, but pretty soon starts to feel funny and then it burns and then you thing that maybe it would be better if your thumb was cut entirely off because the burning is so bad.  So I ran cold water over the thumb for a while before Dan started to fix it.  He had to pull the nail back in order to get the super glue in the right place.  That hurt pretty bad and while he was putting the skin back in place I almost threw up and passed out.  I had to sit down at the table to keep myself from doing that.

So that's why the salad had half the jalapeno, the house was a mess, and I only managed to get to the biggest clumps of dog hair up before everyone showed up.  Oh well, we ended up having a good time anyway I think.

Moral of the story: Cut your hair, not your finger.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha, I like your moral! Your hair looks cute. Sorry you cut your finger :(

Dane's mom said...

Ouch! About your finger- The kids tried hard NOT to have their dad " fix" them. He tended to forget they weren't under anesthesia. Wish superglue had been in wider use back then.

dad said...

how much is the doctor bill?