Thursday, July 05, 2012

Too Busy Living It

Yesterday was a very happy fourth of July.  All except for the part where Dan was one of SIX physicians working in the hospital.  Six.  For the whole stinking thing.  So he was working for the second fourth of July in a row.  Oh well, the guy that's in charge of call schedule said he would try to make it so he doesn't have to take call on Christmas.  I'll take that trade.

Like I was saying, we had a great fourth.  We started the day off with an outdoor breakfast at our church building and the kids riding their bikes in a children's parade around the church.  They were very cute and had loads of fun, but I forgot to take any photos whatsoever.

Then we went to a party for lunch and afternoon games.  It was here that I tried to correct that and take photos of the kids.  Grandma sewed some patriotic outfits for them and I couldn't let the day go by without showing you all how cute they are.  Here I was attempting to get a photo of the three of them seeming happy, breezy, and fun.




  They ended up looking a bit more realistic.  Hungry, sweaty, and sticky.  After this I had them put their swim suits on and go splash around in the pool, sprinkler, and slip n slide.  Also after this I put my camera in a safe spot and forgot about it for the rest of the day.  I was so grateful for all the friends we have made over the year.  Last year when we went to this party I knew nobody and spent the whole time glued to my kids.  This year there was no way I'd be able to stay glued to three kids going in three different directions.  All the other parents there were happy to keep an eye on them.  It was such a help.

At the party Greg was introduced to tug of war.  He watched three rounds and then wanted to join in a round, but the tug of war was over.  So he joined in on a relay race.  He was really cute doing it.

When Greg pulled on my arm and told me that his tummy wasn't feeling well I knew he was probably in the beginning phases of heat exhaustion (did I mention it was 100 degrees and very humid?) and thus it was time for us to leave the party.

We went and dropped a book off to Daddy and he gave the kids each a can of sprite.  They both downed the pop before we got home from the hospital.  Turns out they were super dehydrated despite my attempts to keep feeding them water.

After showers for all of us (including little Lee) because we were all salty from sweat I made everyone take naps.  An entire house sleeping in the late afternoon is a tiny miracle that made my heart happy.

After a late laid back dinner we made our way to the play field of a middle school to watch the fireworks with our good friend Mindy and her oldest boy.  We came armed with glow sticks, glow bracelets and necklaces and smarties.  With our combined efforts the two and a half hour wait actually went really smoothly and it was so much fun to watch our kids running around in the dark on a late and night friend high.  I love living in a place where my kids can run around in the dark with friends and I can sit back and watch the bouncing of their glow sticks as they play.  That was beautiful.  Then we watched the fireworks which were beautiful.

You know what else was beautiful?  We came early enough for a great parking spot and made it out of there  in no time at all.  We arrived home at 11PM and the kids were still bouncing off the walls.  Luckily when they finally stopped moving they passed out.

And fun was had by all.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great time! I love all their matching outfits :) Way to go Aunt Denise!

Maggie said...

They are pretty cute outfits. It was their other Grandma that sewed them.

Anonymous said...

Lots of fun. A great celebration. Too bad Dan had to miss it. You do lots of fun things with your kids. :)
g-jane

Dane's mom said...

Maybe it's because we were just in Salzburg, Austria but the outfits look a bit more "Von Traoo"ish than I had imagined...The linen should have been nice in the heat though. Glad they all fit.