Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Charlotte


First, because I never posted Halloween photos here they are in all their glory.  Charlotte was Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty for the uninitiated) and Greg was a "skawee" dragon.  Lee stayed home with me, but we thought he would enjoy the Batman cape and arm cuffs.  Getting good photos of my kids seems to be more and more difficult as time goes on!

Charlotte is my little princess.  She loves all things sparkly.

She also has a vast knowledge of Monster trucks, how to build things with Legos, and Marvel comic super heroes.  This morning she took Greg's hand on the way walking to school and said that they were Charlotte and Greg, super hero rescuers.

She is becoming such an interesting and unique individual.  Sometimes I marvel at all the things she knows and her likes and dislikes.  It reminds me that I need to take time to get to know her.  Funny how I can spend everyday alongside and working for someone and unless I stop and take time to listen and ask questions I don't really know who she is.

Charlotte loves to make people laugh.  She is constantly trying to figure out why something was funny and then trying to replicate it.  At times it can be wearying to be her humor teacher and audience all in one, but she's getting so much better.

Yesterday Charlotte read to me at reading time.  Not only could she read sight words and sound out words she didn't know, but she can string them together to form whole thoughts.  That shift seemed to have happened over night. 

Charlotte loves American Girl Dolls, like just about every other girl her age here.  But she also loves the stories.  I checked them out on CD from our library and she has listened to all the stories for Molly, Samantha, Felicity, Kerstin and right now she's listening to Josephina.  I love that she loves the stories behind the dolls.


***Also, I thought of another addition to this list that I wanted to add.  My favorite word that she says right now is instressting as in, "I find reading books to be very instresting."  Speaking of books, we have now finished all of the Junie B Jones from the library.  She is asking me to recheck them out.  Luckily I took the advice of my friend Mindy and checked out How to Train Your Dragon and she is hooked.  So we will be checking that series out next I believe.***

2 comments:

Nurse Graham said...

She's been a comedian since before she could say real words. Remember how she used to jabber something and throw her head back in laughter?

You are a wise mother to recognize the importance of taking the time to listen, ask questions and get to know your child. Keep up the good work even though it can be wearying at times.

Mindy said...

I can't believe I didn't see your kids in their Halloween costumes! How did that happen?! Sheesh, its like I'm still living across the country. They look great in the pictures.

And Charlotte is amazing. As always.