Thursday, November 08, 2012

Greg

This one is all boy from center to circumference.  I never knew how fun it would be to have boys around, but let me tell you I love having him around.

He loves:
  • monster trucks
  • super heroes
  • "just regular trucks"
  • all things firefighter related
  • trains
  • building things
But not only does he love all things boy, he has a good working knowledge of all things Charlotte loves.  My favorite quote I overheard from him last week was, "I want to be the daddy mermaid."

And just when I think he couldn't get any cooler he will climb up onto my lap and help me make a craft.  I never thought he liked making crafts until recently, but it wasn't until Charlotte started school and Lee took a morning nap and the two of us were alone together that he decided that he likes it.  He just has to be sitting on my lap at the moment.

You know what else he likes to do when we are alone?  Help me with whatever I'm doing.  "I can help ya if dat!" is a phrase that both Dan and I have come to love (and sometimes sort of dread).  Together this fall we have folded and sorted socks, raked leaves, planted bulbs (not nearly enough yet), and read books.  We have read and read and read his favorite books.

He also knows the ins and outs of our washing machine.  And needs to know what all the warning stickers on the inside of the lid mean.

Greg's humor so 100% different than Charlotte's.  Whereas she needs to know why something is funny before she'll laugh at it, his laughter comes quickly and without any real understanding.  He has always thought physical comedy is funny and I'm pretty sure he always will, but beyond that he probably doesn't really know why he's laughing.  Just that everyone else is laughing and isn't it fun to join in?  Probably that is the best audience for Charlotte.

What he does like to know completely though is how things work.  What happens to make the door open when he pushes the little button?  Why does the light light up and the buzzer flash when he hits the side to "orthopedics" (which is what my children call the game operation)?  How do pistons work?  I tell you I have done more research on the workings of everyday things that I ever thought I would need to know.  I find myself saying, "I don't know" a whole lot more to this kid than to anyone else.

Greg is a sponge.  He picks up words and ideas and attitudes of those around him so very quickly all the time.  I feel like he changes every day because he's always trying out a new thought, word, or point of view that he's seen in someone else.  It amazes me.  He amazes me.

3 comments:

Nurse Graham said...

I love that curious little mind, but he is not a monkey as he told me this summer when I made the mistake of telling David that he (Greg) was always curious.

Katie said...

That's my little engineer!

dad said...

Wat can I say other than I miss him in my shop, we could hang out together real nice.