Friday, February 24, 2006

Accomplished

I woke up at 6:30 AM this morning like I do almost every weekday. My mind was tired because it was working on my homework all night. I've had this happen as long as I can remember. When I go to bed with schoolwork yet to do, my mind churns with the thought of it. Even when I fall asleep the figures and statements still run through my head. I had a paper to write. This paper has been on my mind all week, but I haven't had time to do it because other homework assignments, and a midterm today to study for have been more pressing. It is due by 5 PM today. I was nervous I wouldn't get it done so I thought I'd just get up and go to the library to finish it right off. That's when I found out how different this morning would be.

This morning I was at the library at 7:30 AM, right when it opens. My walk surprised me because the sun was out. I saw all the flowers blooming on campus and I arrived at the library relatively free of stress. I checked out a laptop so I wouldn't have to be in the computer section which is always noisy because it's not a designated quiet area and inevitably I end up stuck next to someone that wants to chat on their cell phone for about an hour.

This morning I went up to the sixth floor. I think I was the first person on the sixth floor today. I found my way to the south east corner of the building, as far away from the entrance as you can get. It is there that I found my glory seat. It is quiet and I'm alone. I am sitting right now looking out onto the bluest sky I've seen this term. I saw the sun rise. The geese flew in their perfect v towards some unknown watery destination. The flag flying above city hall has gone from the rosy hues of the morning to the sharper image waving in the breeze. I enjoyed this while writing, but best of all I look apon this picturesque scene after having finished my paper. Yes, it's only 10AM and my paper is done. Abstract to conclusion.

Now as I sit and listen I hear the sounds of the day have started. There are big semi trucks roaring along the street below, motorcycles and cars rush up and down the street in their hurry to get where they need to go, and some other students have come up to the sixth floor to study. Their quiet page turning and pencil scratching can just be heard above the sound from the trucks below. I have much yet to do today, but I think I just might take this little moment to relax. Breathe deep. Enjoy.

No comments: