Monday, February 20, 2006

Gutherie

My husband and I played some songs at the institute talent show. Banjo and fiddle. Now all these bluegrass people are coming out of the woodwork.

That night we talked to this other kid from the institute who knows about this little place in Gutherie that has a one room school house that is converted to a music hall. Every friday night people from all around just come together for a bluegrass jam session. All the musicians pull out their instruments and sit in a circle and take turns shouting out songs to play or even just start playing them. The other musicians join in and you're welcome to join in too. If you don't know a song you can just sit and watch everybody else play. There are other people that come and just listen and dance and generally have a good time. Everyone brings refreshments to eat and be eaten by others.

We went with our friend last Friday. I didn't bring my instrument because I'm a sissy and just wanted to see what it was like before jumping on in. I sat next to the gossip of the hall that goes every week and had a blast learning about her and just about everyone else in the room. There were so many different types of people, professors, plumbers, electricians, young couples, kids, and grandparents. I danced with a little 3 year old boy and also waltzed with an elderly gentleman. I even got in a little clogging on one of the songs. I have never been winked at so many times in one evening! It was great! I loved it!

So my question is who doesn't like this sort of thing? The lady I was talking to said that some wives of the musicians don't go because they don't like it. What's not to like? Just go and enjoy!

4 comments:

Katie said...

Wow, I'm so jealous! I would totally LOVE to go to that. You should bring your fiddle next time for sure. I'm sure they all know Cripple Creek.

Heather said...

What a cute little town activity! I would love to be involved in something like that. I've been fiddle-less since getting married, but my mom said I could have the violin since we don't have anymore violinists in the family! I'm going to have her bring it up when they come out to visit in March.

Maggie said...

Man, now that I'm playing with other people I don't know how I went without for so long! I'm glad to know you're getting it back!

Anonymous said...

That sounds really great.
Straight out of Little House on the Prairie!
What great commradarie, and a perfect little family activity.

a little jealous here.