Thursday, January 14, 2010

Choices

I'm really sad that Charlotte can't have all her clothing when we go on vacation. This is because with the restricted choices that I pack for her she ends up being fairly well put together most days. This does not reflect her typical awesome clothing choices at home. For example, we went to the Magic House the other day and as I looked around at all the other little girls there I felt a little chagrin at what my daughter was wearing. Among all the matching outfits with tights, boots and matching hair bows was my daughter. That morning she had chosen to wear a long sleeve off white shirt under a bright white T-shirt with little hearts on it. Did I mention the short sleeve shirt was backwards? Oh! Also she wanted to wear brown pants and since her brown pants were in the wash she decided to take another pair of pants and turn them inside out so the brown was showing, along with all the seams and the tag which was in the front because she insisted on wearing that backwards too.

Today at least everything is on right side out and forward. It is a hot pink dress with red pants on, but that's not bad right? The bad part was her insistence on wearing the purple hat with it.

Am I a bad mom because I don't really want to fight over clothing? There are just so many, many other things I do have to struggle about. My entire day feels a little like one long negotiation wherein I'm trying my best not to loose my patience. I do take a stand on Sundays and for photos, but other than that I figure I've got it made when she's actually wearing clothing.

8 comments:

Dan's mom said...

My one other caveat, besides "on", was "weather appropriate" when it's cold/rainy, etc. Just tell folks she has a very eclectic sense of style (and I don't think her choices are as random as they seem, so it really IS her sense of style.) Katelyn recently told her mom that she doesn't have time to be friends with "mean people"- very much Katelyn. Let her make these choices & learn. There are too many other things to worry about that are much more important - as you stated.

Katie said...

Oh, who even cares. I think it's so awesome when I see little kids out and about who choose their own outfits.

And just think, maybe since you are letting her have the freedom to express herself through wardrobe at a young age she won't feel the need to dress like edward scissorhands in high school?

TRS said...

Seriously. Pick your battles - and this is a good choice to back off. Who really cares if she has eclectic choices in this stage of her life?

I admit - it would drive me batty to have my daughter in darling, matched outfits - but you'll have an opportunity to teach her about coordination later - then if she doesn't get it you reserve the right to make fun of her!!

When I was in preschool I was really excited when I woke up early one morning and got myself dressed for school. When I went to find my mom in the kitchen, she laughed and said it was Saturday, no school - and that my outfit didn't match anyway.
I wasn't crushed... I was just bummed that I had failed my own little self sufficiency test!!

TRS said...

Whoops - that should say - "to NOT have" her in darling outfits.

Angelavon said...

no way, you are an awesome mom because you give your daughter choices! asher totally went through the same phase and it was the one thing that i decided it wasn't worth fighting over. sometimes i was sad that he looked like a little homeless boy, but the good news is when he got a little older i explained to him matching and then it got a lot better! also, now he trusts me when i advise him that something matches better than what he chose. ultimately i always let him have the final say and we never have to fight over it!

Anonymous said...

It makes me happy to see you making the right choices...what they wear at that age is not important.
Love to you,
g-grandma jane

Mrs. Architect said...

No way! She's learning to be decisive and creative. And shes a CHILD - she has PLENTY of time to worry about clothing comparisons and what she looks like/wears when she gets to junior high and high school.

And of all battles - this would DEFINITELY be the bottom of my list if I was a mom!

Carrie said...

I love Charlotte's individuality and the way she expresses it . . . she always looks darling. I agree with the "choosing your battles thing!" (Although I must admit to minor compulsion about my girls' hair bows matching their clothes . . . )
You are a talented writer, Maggie--I like your style and enjoy stopping by your blog now and then. I'm glad you guys are back in town and look forward to seeing you soon!
~Carrie