Monday, January 11, 2010

Karma

When I was little, I want to say in the neighborhood of 5, my sister and I did a bad thing. A very bad thing. While my parents were busy with something else we got out a 5 gallon jug of honey and decided to give ourselves a snack. Did I mention our snack was a five gallon jug of honey? Seriously what were my parents thinking having something like that lying around? It seemed pretty innocent in our minds-or maybe just mine, I can't speak for she who got me into every danger of my childhood. By the time my mother caught us we were shoulder deep in honey and had pet the dog several times. Honey everywhere. Needless to say the incident has made its way to family lore.

Well, this morning karma came and bit me hard. Our breakfast routine has pretty much cemented itself over the last year. I get the bowls, vitamins and place mats ready while Charlotte gets the cereal out of the pantry. As I was getting the vitamins ready I heard a pretty loud thud, but as there was no accompanying crying I ignored it. Big mistake. By the time I found out that Charlotte had knocked the 5 lb (80 oz) jug of honey off the shelf and the lid had flown off, half the contents were on the floor. At that point, or perhaps after I had it cleaned up, I kind of smiled to myself. What goes around comes around I guess. At least it wasn't on the child, or any dogs.

3 comments:

Dan's mom said...

Crayon on the wall you can blame on Dan - he tried to pin the deed on each of his siblings (who were in school by the time the crayon first appeared) and when none of them "worked" , he blamed it on Lilac, the cat........ I guess there is something to be said for my ability to cause ANY honey in my house to crystalize. See- it's already a funny story (that attitiude got me through alot).

dad said...

Yes, honey is rewarding. What you didn't add is that your Dad had to help rescue the honey bucket.

Mindy said...

I am imagining dog hair in the honey bucket.