Friday, January 08, 2010

Snow Day 2

Yesterday, after it snowed through the night, we ended up with 3-5 inches, in my estimation. You know what that means? What it means is no school. If there is no school some smart (read: despirate) mommy sends her school aged child out the door with a smart attempt at earning money. What that leads to is said child bundled up carrying a garden shovel asking if I want my steps shoveled. They'd gladly shovel them for the sum of $10. And when faced with the cute faced, industrious, little bamboozler I cave and say sure. Then about 15 minutes later I'm out $10 and only half the steps shoveled and the sidewalk not even touched.

To sidestep this entire situation I got out first thing in the morning and shoveled the darn things myself. Then the little sharks wouldn't even come knocking on my door. As I was doing this a neighbor from a few houses down was dusting off her car to leave for the day. On her way back inside she remarks to me, "Not just a man's job is it?" I laughed and agreed with her, and then got to thinking. As I went to the back of the house to shovel a pathway to our car I decided that there are very few jobs in our house that are strictly "man's jobs." In order to be a totally Daniel's job I have to hate doing it enough and be able to and step around it long enough for him to do it when he gets home from the hospital. Which has slowly cut down on the jobs I consider just for him. It used to be taking out the garbage, puke, and dead animals, but none of those things can I step around if they crop up during the day. I just have to suck it up and do them. Sure he does the bulk of those jobs, but they surly aren't just man's jobs. So are there any of you out there with "man's jobs" in your relationship?

5 comments:

Mary Jo said...

I have noticed more things are "man jobs" when I am pregnant but when I am not pregnant I do alot more stuff. I wonder if it's because I come from a family of all girls so we did everything because there weren't alot of boys to do stuff? I am not one to make a big deal of doing stuff. Mike has a coworker who won't pump her own gas and I find that hilarious!

Nurse Graham said...

Not only does our family have "man jobs" but we have "kid jobs", too.

Man jobs: designated "fixer" when anything breaks or goes awry; official light-bulb changer; garbage man; hottest lawn guy around

Kid jobs: dishes--one washes, the other puts away; pooper scoopers; lawn guy in-training; laundry put-awayers

In return I make sure their clothes are washed, meals prepared, bills paid, house mostly tidy, groceries paid, and taxi driver on demand.

Mindy said...

We're in the same boat, so instead of our actual list, how about I share my "man job wish list" in hopes that it will come true one day...when he has a job...when we own a house...

Man Jobs:
Anything to do with the cars, including gassing, washing, tires, any type of repairs.
The lawn and yard. I mowed my fair share of our acre of grass with a push mower as a kid, and I don't feel like I should ever have to mow another inch of lawn.
Bugs and rodents.

Also, I would love it if the garbage were a man job, but I'm too stubborn to ask him to take it out. He can see just as well as I can that it needs to be taken out, so I'll do it myself before I'll ask him.

Mindy said...

Here's an actual man job we have:
Grilling!

dad said...

All jobs are Man jobs. I just let your Mother help.