Thursday, March 25, 2010

24 hours

I don't remember if I mentioned my banning of treats, candy and baked goods in our home about a month ago? I got so fed up with Charlotte not eating meals, that I went through our house and threw all of the sweets away. I also declared to the family that no new treats were to enter our home for a month and set the end date as Charlotte's birthday (because how can you not have a birthday cake?). Well, we didn't quite make it to her birthday because Dan got me starburst jellybeans for my birthday which we celebrated on Monday night. Then yesterday we made cookies that were intended for Charlotte to take to Joy School today (which we forgot). Turns out Charlotte didn't eat lunch today. Well, let me amend that. She ate one bite of sandwich. One bite. Then half an hour later she said she was hungry and asked for a popsicle and a cookie. I swear that kid has a memory for treats!

And as for me this was certainly and eye opener. I didn't realize how hard it would be to not make baked goods. We must have never had a night without them because every night after the kids got in bed I felt the urge to eat brownies, cookies, cake, chocolate, anything. But since we didn't have anything I couldn't.

So now the question is that of balance. How much do I allow in our home? When its here there is the contant fight not only to keep myself from eating it, but also my children. Dan has such amazing self control about this sort of thing so it doesn't seem to bother him one way or the other.

2 comments:

Dan's mom said...

Since Michael needed to be "food controlled", cookies were one in the afternoon with fruit if you were hungry or a peanut butter half sandwich; dessert on Sunday maybe - alot of stawberry shortcakes. Yogurt was the lunch "sweet". Food shouldn't be so hard but sometimes it is.
(We can't believe Charlotte is already 3 either!)

Dan's mom said...

PS Those were the rules for the children... grownups were allowed treats after the kids were in bed. Before Mike was diagnosed, I made a batch of cookies each week for that week's consumption. That was one of the few changes that I needed to make to accomodate a 5 year old with type 1 diabetes.