Thursday, March 04, 2010

Where Do I Even Begin?

Two days ago I took my kids to the mall to play on the toys at the mall. Why does Charlotte love that so much? The toys are so dumb, but she loves it so I try to indulge.

We went with a friend and her little boy so my car was full. As my friend and I are chatting down the interstate we are suddenly interrupted by full out wailing from Greg. He doesn't really do that very often so I was very alarmed.

"Why is Greggie crying?" I try to get out over the cries.

"He's sad," Charlotte responds.

"Why?" I ask.

"I stuck the keys too far into his mouth," is her very logical answer.

WHAT?! Where did the keys come from? Why isn't the pacifier in his mouth? Where did you put that? And most importantly, why did you put the keys in his mouth? All of those questions must have come out in one big angry sounding jumble because Charlotte's answer to them was to burst out in tears (like she does for everything lately). So there we are careening down the interstate me confused and worried he'd been stabbed, Charlotte hurt feeling and crying and Greg screaming. I did some serious calming down for everyone and Greg turned out to be fine. We went to the mall and played and a good lesson was learned. We only use keys on doors.

3 comments:

Nurse Graham said...

Has Charlotte ever seen someone give Greg keys in an effort to keep him entertained? If so, I'm sure that in her 3 year old mind, she was just helping him out and so she couldn't understand why you would be so upset.

Dan's mom said...

The daddy(Dan) plugged our keys into an uncovered outlet in the waiting room of his dad's office building - shorted out half the buildling & I had 5 drs. poking at the set of keys that was slightly welded to the metal plug-plate. After watching them for several minutes, I reminded them that the power was OFF, reached down & "unwelded" the keys. The daddy was fine - he had fallen on a well padded bottom & only his dignity was hurt. The general concensus in the office was that they had been VERY lucky that no "regular" child (patient or child of patient) had done the same thing. All outlets were coverd by the end of the week.
Glad everything turned out to be ok.
By the way, the daddy, trying his best to help, once ran the dishwasher for me - using dishwashing soap. It takes a VERY long time to get all the bubbles out.

cfg said...

This is Spiff's mom, and I enjoy reading your blog. When Spiff was in pre-school he came home and told me "Anna cried today." When i asked why, he said, "because I hit her." Yup. Honest and guileless.