Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Dear March,

Did you know that I love you? Well, don't feel bad, I was unaware of it previous to this year as well. But this year I have noticed more of all the lovely things you give and do for me. Sure, you "come in like a lion" and there may still be days of rain and (I shudder to think) snow, but there are also glorious days. Days wherein my children and I spend 3 hours in our backyard. You gave me that. You helped me to see the creativity and imagination that my almost three year old has. She doesn't need much more than a board, a couple of old bricks and a big ball to entertain her. Sure everytime we go to Sam's club she sees the $800 play structure and says she wishes she could buy it. I would feel bad, but for the knowledge of her running around without a thing in the backyard. You gave that to me. Thank you.

You know what else you give me, oh lovely March? Not only did you give me crocuses that have come and gone, but daffodils, tulips, resurrection lillies, and the first signs of growth on the hydrangeas, and mums. There is life and joy returning outside. I can tell because the birds have come back too. Aren't they wonderful, March? I knew you'd think so.

In March we get to escape the house, which means escaping the never ending chores that pile around me to see the sun! Oh the sun! March gives you the first signs that the sun is going to warm the days. I love to go outside, even when it's not quite warm enough, and just let myself feel the sun in March.

And most importantly, March, you have given me Charlotte. That most wonderful of gifts. I glory in her awesomeness. Even when she spends two nights throwing up, which she did just the past two nights, she's still so funny and smart and amazing. Thank you March.

Sincerely Yours,
Maggie

3 comments:

Katie said...

I'm sure your mom feels the same way about March...for the same reason you listed in your last paragraph!

It gave us YOU!

TRS said...

Bringing tears to my eyes.

I love spring too... because summer is that much closer ... and because of the glorious reminders of renewal cloaked in bright, subtle, surprising blooms where we least expect them.

Charlotte is a dear and if she were mine... I'd feel just the same!!

dad said...

July is also a glorious month.