Saturday, December 22, 2012

Speaking of Traditions

Charlotte asked me about Hanukkah a few days ago.  Actually she was surprised that school doesn't teach about Christmas.  Her preschool was run by non-denominational Christians and so they were all over that stuff.  So then we had a discussion about how not everybody believes in the same things and not everybody celebrates the same things.  That's part of what makes our country great.  And I shared with her the 11th article of faith for our church which states that we believe in worshiping what we want and we give everyone else that same privilege.

Why do these questions happen at the oddest times?

So then she asked me about what other people celebrate.  I told her that Jewish people celebrate Hanukkah.  I admit to not being terribly clear on the story of Hanukkah.  The salient details that I shared was a group of Jewish people who believed in God were trapped by an army.  They only had enough light to last one night but they prayed and asked God to help them and they had a lot of faith and God answered their prayers so they could see for a whole week and it was a miracle.

Charlotte, "Mom, why don't we celebrate that miracle?"

Hmm...I hope my answer about our faith in the miracle of the Savior and celebrating that supreme gift this time of year made sense.  I'm not sure it did though because after my best attempts to answer that she said, "Mom, what to British people celebrate?"

In other deep questions in life, I guess Greg must be surveying everyone about death and resurrection.  I heard him asking his dad about it last night.


Now I want them to go back to asking the easy questions.  Ones like, "Who invented motorcycles?"

No comments: