Monday, December 10, 2012

It's Beginning to Look a lot like Christmas

Yesterday it snowed.  The first real snow of the season and it's going to stick.  Today the high should be in the low teens.  And it's snowing again right now.

A good time to be cozy inside.  Which is what I plan on being for the rest of the day.  I had to go out this morning for groceries (note to self: Try to avoid having to take all three kids to the grocery store.  They are helpful, but also know what sort of snack to quietly add to the cart.  It makes for an expensive trip.) but this afternoon we have nothing on the must get done list.

If I get ambitious this afternoon I might take the three of them out to sled or color the snow in our backyard, but for now I feel cozy and just right cleaning the house.

Speaking of the house, and decorating (because we were talking about that right?) I was thinking about a few random Christmas decorations that we have at our house handed down from my family.  I doubt they'd get popular because they are out of style at the moment, but nothing says Christmas to me like seeing those decorations that I've looked at my whole life.  Here's one:


Rosie the reindeer.  After I got her I had to fix her eyelashes because a mouse had eaten them at some point, but after that I proudly hung her on our wall.  I know others might think her sort of strange, but I don't mind having to walk to the side of the hallway so that I can avoid her long face sticking out.  She welcomes Christmas into our house quite nicely.

Do any of you have Christmas decorations like that?  Old, but not old enough to be "vintage," but that doesn't matter to you.  Or am I the only one happily putting up my parent's cast off goods?

3 comments:

Nurse Graham said...

We don't have any decorations from our parents, but we do have this one tin that looks like a toy soldier. It came from Dave's grandma. Carson insists that it be displayed every year. We also still have several foam art decorations from when Katelyn and Carson were in preschool/grade school that are proudly displayed--except for this year. Nothing is going up this year due to home improvement project.

Andrea said...

My parents have graciously donated some of their decorations every year so i could decorate our home!

my favorite is from this year, jace and i don't own a nativity and my mom called me up and said she was looking for a new home for one of her big nativities. i love it! I've been putting it up at her house for the last 10 years, and now i get to have it at my house!

Unknown said...

Was that grandma's? If not, she must have had one just like it. I love old Christmas decor! Nastalgia.