Thursday, August 16, 2007

Grrrrr!

Charlotte went down for her nap this morning all on her own. It was amazing. I just put her down in her crib and she rolled to her side and went to sleep. (She sleeps on her side now all the time. I think it's funny.) I was so happy and thought today was going to be a great sleeping/playing day for her. Then approximately ten minutes later workers started to pound on our house. LOUDLY. I was pretty annoyed, but they hadn't woken up the baby and probably they were doing something that needed to be done on the roof of our place.

Now I realize that our house is approximately 2 feet away from our neighbor's and also that the old in the window air conditioning unit sticks out into that space. It would be really difficult to get to the roof from the side of the house. Do you really have to drop EVERYTHING you drop right onto the metal air conditioning unit? Yes, that sound wakes up my baby. Every.single.time. I just get her back to sleep and then they manage to drop more! If they don't drop stuff on the unit then they're banging around on our roof. My anger started to rise as I was trying to work with a screaming baby. It was only kept in check by the fact that I figured the work on the place needed to be done.

This only helped until I took out the garbage. As I was putting it in the dumpster behind our house I looked back and saw that, although their ladder was placed next to our house they were actually working on the chimney of our neighbor's house. They've been clomping, banging, throwing things at our house while not even working on our house! And now they've decided it's time to again bang on our roof. And yes, my baby did just wake up screaming once again.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Oh jeez,

I would have yelled at them for sure.

Or at least asked them to try to be more careful.

Anonymous said...

Ugh!

I would have kindly (as possible) explained that I have a sleeping infant... and ask if it would be too much trouble to toss stuff off the other side of the house.

My theory. No one knows they are bothering you if you don't tell them.

Maggie said...

My sister and I are so similar! My reaction to the situation went through the same evolution that her comment has. First, white hot anger. I almost tore out of the house like a roaring bear. Then I calmed myself down and thought about asking them to be careful. I was worried about not being able to be nice or polite at all so I just dealt with it.