Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Heat

Well Heather tagged me, and only me, so I guess I'd better answer.

1. What is the best thing you cooked last week?

Hahahahahaha! We were still moving in last week! I had no stove! I had no oven! So I didn't really cook anything last week. Usually I cook all our meals, but last week I didn't. We're still moving in, but I have the whole kitchen unpacked now. A few nights ago I made taco salad that was pretty good. I planned on having leftovers the next night but my husband had already taken it to school and eaten them for lunch. I guess he liked those.

2. If money, time, and babysitting were no object where would you go and with who?

I guess I'm so lame because I don't really have a destination that I'd love to go to and I'm being held back from. I would like to spend more time with my family. And I would really like to have a whole week of sleeping 8 hours a night without interruptions. So I'd do that if money, time, and babysitting were no object. Probably it would be cool I guess if my family came here to St. Louis for a week and we went to all the places I've seen for families to go to that cost money. St. Louis is great for cheap and free things, but there's also a lot of cool family stuff that does cost money. I'm saving those for when we have money to spend.

3. When was the last time you cried?

I'd say yesterday. As it turns out we're really poor (that's what happens when your husband is in medical school). I was hoping to be able to get some help with medical insurance, but Missouri isn't very helpful. I was so frustrated just trying to get in contact with anyone that could help me. Then when I finally did get a hold of someone all I was told was, "No don't come in we'll mail you something." That and the we're not going to help you one bit news that I received was really frustrating.

4. What is the most played song on your ipod right now?

Hahahaha! This is another funny one since I don't have an ipod. Again we're poor. Also I did have my hands on one and didn't really care to set it up. I know, I know, I've heard all about them being awesome and once you have one you don't know how you'd live without one. My brother said they're like cell phones were. When cell phones were first coming out he'd think to himself that they weren't that big a deal. Then once he got one he would never go back to not having one. Well, to be honest I probably could be just as happy not having a cell phone either. It's just more cost effective to call my family on the cell phone as it is to pay for long distance.

5. Is there something on t.v. this week that you are more excited about than the So You Think You Can Dance finale?

Well, there again we're poor. So that means that we're watching TV through an antenna which receives cbs and nbc and a little bit of fox (which comes in black and white occasionally). Needless to say we don't watch too much TV and I haven't seen any of So You Think You Can Dance.

I don't really have anyone I want to tag though so I'm skipping that part of the whole rigamaroll. Yes, I was also the one that broke the chain letters in elementary school too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what it's like to be poor. I'm a little more comfortable now, but I still scrimp. I don't have cable because 1) it's so expensive - who needs it? and 2) if I had cable/ satellite television I'd NEVER leave the house.

Don't be ashamed of being frugal. You're not really poor. You're really not, you have a roof over your head and you know you can have three meals a day. That's better than 90% of the world's population.

Still, be proud of your frugality. You can sew, you can create the things you need.

'Tis so much better to know that you can do without. Americans are over consumers.

I know this is long but let me leave one more thought from one of my favorite homilies.
Going back to the 90% of the world's population. If you were told you had to live in a 6x6 foot room and have one meal a day, you'd think it was hell. Prison like.
In many parts of the world, someone told the same thing would think... Shelter? A place to call home? A meal... EVERY day? That's heaven.

When you are called to heaven... and heaven is a level playing field.... will you be disappointed? Don't live your life now, in a manner that will lead you to be disappointed in heaven.

Maggie said...

That is so true! I took a religions of the world class in college and my teacher was talking about some of the eastern religions. I can't remember the specifics of what we were talking about, but one thing totally stuck out to me. The "heaven" that we think of as westerners is really more of the same things we have now. The "heaven" that a lot of eastern religions teach is simply a release-to be as a drop of water in the ocean. It really does reveal a lot about how the people that ascribe to each religion live.

I actually do take pride in being frugal. I think it's something that my husband has really helped teach me. I make fun of his frugality sometimes, but his attitude makes our life so easy to live! It is great to know what we can do without. It's also amazing to find out the things that it's easy to live without and the things that are harder to live without. There are quite a few surprises.

Anonymous said...

You have such a great attitude!

I can tell just by reading what you write and the enthusiasm you share with some of us strangers!

Really. Be proud of being frugal. Sometimes when I see the waste and want of others, I'm glad I was raised to appreciate what I have... and of my ability to make due.

(I say this as I contemplate buying a couch twice the cost of what I COULD buy!!! Grrr. But I justify it because... heck... I saved that much just by not having cable huh?!?!?!)

That and knowing that living as a poor journalist - I have excellent credit and no debt! Not bad for a poor kid!
You and your hubby are on the right track

sorry, I need to get my blog fixed so that I can post there instead of on your comments!! Wheeee!